.

.

Feb 7, 2018

Love That Lets Go


All is quiet and I drive into the waves of fog rolling over my windshield. It is cold and it is silent and I am learning how to let go. My hand leaves the wheel and travels up my forehead and through my hair--

I do not want to.

How long have I wrestled over this one thing? I white-knuckle grip everything from material possessions to friends to football games, and I wonder why my hands always hurt and my shoulders are always tense.

Love lets go. I hear it as a gentle whisper, but it seems a harsh shout to my soul, for I am hardened--a stiff tree with roots that tangle around rocks for fear of being uprooted. Love lets go--

I do not want to.

If I let go, it will fall and fade into painful memory laced into regret. No. No, love fights. Love grips. Love--

Kills.

Or is that love? Is it idolatry with a poor mask?

Love lets go, and still I do not want to.

I am tired of losing things, so my pockets are full of seeds, their lives dormant because I am unwilling to let them fall into the earth, where they will die. Death. So much death. So many graves that must be dug--no. I will keep them as seeds, perfect and pointless in my pocket. I will not let them go--

I do not want to! I hate this! If I let go, I will tumble into the abyss of unknown, unseen. And when I hit the ground and feet at my chest there will be empty ribs--alive, but loveless.

Love lets go? I speak the hard words to the fog that parts to make way for my headlights. Gently, it gazes into the tumult within myself. Gently, it tugs. Gently, it thickens just enough to carry in the words--

Love lets go.

Love

        Lets
  
                Go...

So that it might learn, instead, to be held in the scarred palm of the Savior. And planted there, it dies, breaking the body of the shell in groaning resurrection, and then, then love grows into a shelter that bears fruit within its season.

6 comments:

  1. goosebumps. all over. WHY DO YOU ALWAYS LEAVE ME SPEECHLESSS THOUUUGGGHHH UGHHHH. x God is so good. and this was good. ugh. yeah. You know my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo.. wow. This hit me deep, and I know it's true, even though it is hard. Thank you, thank you. It is only in dying we are able to be made alive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, you know the part in Emiel where he writes through a bunch of struggle with wordlessness and frustration to get to the one line worth keeping...

    That is you, and the line worth keeping is this, these words you are posting here. There is a radiance about it, in all of this darkness, like a door at night with the cracks around it glowing with the light beyond... God is at work. Your words are lovely, the grace you have been given as you learn to trust is lovelier. Keep on keeping on, because the keeping on is shot through with that grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you a million times. I needed to hear that more than I can express. Thanks for caring about my words.

      Delete

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic